- Event Date: 03/07/2019
- Time: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- Location: Women’s Health Victoria, Level 8, 255 Bourke St, Melbourne
- Contact Email: [email protected]
- Contact Phone: 03 9664 9340
- Website: https://womenshealthvic.com.au/event-3417677?CalendarViewType=1&SelectedDate=7/3/2019
Challenges and opportunities to prevent violence against women in practice
Explore the challenge and opportunities of undertaking action that seeks to transform gender norms, practices and structures in order to prevent violence against women and promote gender equality.
About this workshop:
This full-day masterclass aims to build participants’ confidence and skills to undertake effective gender transformative practice as part of their primary prevention and gender equality work. This workshop explores the key theoretical principles underpinning gender transformative work, reflecting on their own practice and experience. Participants are supported to unpack some of the key challenges to putting this work into practice and will work together to explore opportunities to overcome these challenges. While there is no step-by-step process to undertaking gender transformative practice, the workshop aims to support practitioners to develop the critical thinking and reflection skills required to incorporate a gender transformative lens to their practice.
The workshop covers:
- the theoretical framework underpinning gender transformative practice and how it applies to our work
- applying an intersectional lens to our gender transformative practice
- working with men in transforming masculinities
- practitioner care and self-care
This workshop is designed for experienced practitioners working in the primary prevention and gender equality sectors. Participants will be supported to reflect on and draw from their own practice experience and knowledge throughout the workshop.
Participants are required to have a strong understanding of violence against women, primary prevention, Change the Story, the causes/drivers of violence against women as this content will not be covered in the workshop. Participants are also expected to be familiar with the concept of intersectionality.
Cost : $225/$155 Inc. GST
Participants are expected to have a strong understanding of the following documents:
- Victorian Government, 2017, Free from violence: Victoria’s strategy to prevent family violence and all forms of violence against women, https://www.vic.gov.au/familyviolence/prevention-strategy.html
- Our Watch, VicHealth and ANROWS 2015, Change the Story: a shared framework for the primary prevention of violence against women and children www.ourwatch.org.au/getmedia/0aa0109b-6b03-43f2-85fe-a9f5ec92ae4e/Change-the-story-framework-prevent-violence-women-children-AA-new.pdf.aspx
- Our Watch 2017, Putting the prevention of violence against women into practice: How to change the story,https://www.ourwatch.org.au/What-We-Do/Our-Watch-Handbook
This Masterclass was developed with funding from the Victorian Government, under the Free From Violence Strategy.