- Event Date: 11/11/2021
- Time: 2-4pm
- Location: Online
- Contact Name: Claire Thurstans
- Contact Email: [email protected]
- Contact Phone: 03 8636 4424
- Website: https://justiceconnect.microsoftcrmportals.com/event/speakers?id=Taking_Charge_-_Planning_for_a_Safe_and_Independent_Older_Age1054959957
Justice Connect, in collaboration with Switchboard Victoria, are hosting a session on 11 November 2021 at 2 – 4pm:
Taking Charge – Planning for a Safe and Independent Older Age.
Part 1 of the workshop will involve a presentation and group discussion on:
- What future planning is and how to do it
- What elder abuse is and how it affects LGBTIQA+ people
- How future planning can help you maintain independence by making decisions that impact your future, and protect yourself from abuse in your older age.
Part 2 of the workshop will involve a ‘run-through’ of a future planning conversation guide being developed by Justice Connect, which will give you the opportunity to:
- Think & talk about what you want in the future,
- Plan the steps you can take to get there, and
- Provide feedback so that we can tailor the conversation guide and make sure it is helpful and relevant to LGBTIQA+ people.
This workshop would be very useful for clients over 50 and/or for staff working with them. It is especially critical for people who are estranged from biological family and/or who may have either no Advance Care Directive or Power of Attorney, or have given those powers previously to someone who is unlikely to understand or respect their wishes in regards to their values and preferences as they age.