- Event Date: 26/10/2021
- Time: 9.30am-12.30pm
- Location: Online Event
- Website: https://www.trybooking.com/BTDLE
About the workshop
This introductory workshop introduces culturally safe and responsive practice and an intersectional understanding mental health and will assist participants to apply human rights, cultural models of health and wellbeing and participatory frameworks to mental health practice.
The workshop complements broader service development initiatives being undertaken by an organisation within our current mental health and wellbeing reform environment and is designed to stimulate the interest of participants in the range of issues related to transcultural mental health.
The workshop will utilise a variety of facilitation modes, grounded in a reflective practice approach to provide learners with the opportunity to explore the knowledge, skills and attitudes that support culturally safe and responsive, equitable and inclusive mental health care across a variety of service settings and contexts.
Workshop participants will also be informed of additional VTMH services inclusive of advanced skills and training workshops that are also available. VTMH collects feedback from workshop participants for quality control purposes and data collected may be used for publication.
- Reflect on concepts and frameworks important for culturally safe and responsive care, including human rights, defining culture, identity, intersectionality, culturally safe and responsive care and cultural humility.
- Learn about culturally responsive practices including working with interpreters, partnering with communities, reflexivity, explanatory models, social and cultural models of health, cultural assessment and recovery and anti-oppression practices.
- Implement culturally responsive practices at systemic levels and individual levels while being aware of relevant government policy and the mental health reform environment.
Duration and delivery
Blended learning with two components
- Completion of an online self-directed introductory module (link emailed once registration completed) prior to attending the online workshop
- Attendance at the online workshop, conducted over 3 hours, held on Tuesday 26th October 2021, 9:30 am-12:30 pm.
Requires Zoom platform, with break out room capability for small group work & screen viewing function to access presentation inclusive of slides and videos. Strong internet connection required and a Zoom compatible device.
Participation is open to a range of staff including program leaders and direct-care practitioners, working in mental health and wellbeing services across Victoria, including staff in clinical and community mental health services, as well as people working within mental health programs in community health and social services.
Practitioners working in publicly funded mental health programs across Victoria, including staff in clinical and community mental health services, as well as people working within mental health programs in community health and social services.
Registrations close Friday 22nd October. Registrations are essential.