- Event Date: 19/04/2018
- Time: 1.00pm – 4.00pm
- Location: Multicultural Hub, 506 Elizabeth St, Melbourne
- Website: http://www.ceh.org.au/multicultural-sexual-health-network-registration/
About the forum
Many factors affect sexual health. Racism is a less obvious, but pervasive determinant of health disparity.
Experiences of racism in health care settings can deter people from seeking preventative options or management of issues. In the dating scene, racism may affect an individual’s agency to insist on condom use.
Racism is embedded in everyday practices as well as in systems and structures of essential services, not only in health care, but also in other settings, such as housing or welfare. This forum will explore these everyday practices and broader systemic and organisational structures.
How does racism impact health?
Our speakers will explore this question:
• From a personal/ community perspective
• With evidence-based research
• With findings from a racism minimisation project
After the presentations, we will discuss actions each of us can take to reduce racism in our services and daily lives.